Since the Deutsches Bergbau-Museum Bochum was established, the Library has grown alongside it. From modest beginnings back in the 1930s, through procurements and numerous gifts and the work of foundations, this institution now constitutes a comprehensive specialist mining history Library with around 40,000 monographies and 40,000 periodical volumes.
Its other noteworthy aspects include the collection of documents dating from the 16th century, and its extensive inventory of mining archaeology materials. The Library is also closely engaged in collecting photographic documentation relating to the history of mining. Ranging from large format glass plates to modern paper prints, the extensive Photo Library contains images covering practically every facet of mining history.
The collections held by the Library and the Photo Library can be accessed by researchers from the museum and affiliated research departments, as well as by external visitors, who can pre-register to view the collections for their own research activities. Visitors cannot loan materials. For more information about researching the collections, see: www.montandok.de
- Mon. to Thurs.: 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Fri.: 8:30 am to 2:00 pm
Pre-registration is required in order to use the Library | Photo Library. We look forward to hearing from you.
Collecting and preserving is one of the core tasks of a museum. Curiously, this usually happens in secret. In our third film, we show that preserving mining is not a dusty business at all and offer spectacular insights into the Montanhistorisches Dokumentationszentrum - an area that visitors do not normally enter.
Click here to watch our video on YouTube:
- Jahresbericht montan.dok 2012
- Jahresbericht montan.dok 2011
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2010
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2009
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2008
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2007
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2006
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2005
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2004
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2003
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2002
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2001
- Jahresbericht Bergbau-Archiv 2000
- Newsletter montan.dok 2023|1
- Newsletter montan.dok 2022|2
- Newsletter montan.dok 2022|1
- Newsletter montan.dok 2021|2
- Newsletter montan.dok 2021|1
- Newsletter montan.dok 2020|2
- Newsletter montan.dok 2020|1
- Newsletter montan.dok 2019|2
- Newsletter montan.dok 2019|1
- Newsletter montan.dok 2018|2
- Newsletter montan.dok 2018|1
- Newsletter montan.dok 2017|2
- Newsletter montan.dok 2017|1
- Newsletter montan.dok 2016|2
- Newsletter montan.dok 2016|1
- Newsletter montan.dok 2015|1
The mining archaeology Library is an external department of the Library of the “montan.dok” [Mining History Document Centre]. It contains over 7,600 monographies 320 journals, and retains a comprehensive collection of more than 12,900 individual articles, which arecollected and bound in “Variabänden” (thematically arranged volumes).
The Library's collections can be accessed by students, researchers and interested members of the public during opening times. There is no charge for using it. Outside of opening times, the Library can only be used by prior arrangement.
Visitors cannot loan materials. For information about researching the collections, see: www.montandok.de. A mining archaeology research database (“Lit-DB Montanarchäologie”) containing articles on mining, raw material and economic archaeology can be accessed via the Library section of the institution's own intranet.
Am Bergbaumuseum 31
Opening times for students
- Mon. 9:00 am to 12:00 noon, and 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm
- Thurs. to Fri. 9:00 am to 11:00 am, and 12:00 noon to 2:30 pm