Kurzvita & Werdegang
Dr. Yiu-Kang Hsu completed his doctoral degree in archaeological science at the University of Oxford in 2016. His thesis investigated the dynamics of metal supplies in prehistoric Eurasian steppe during the Bronze and Early Iron Ages. His research areas include modern day China, Mongolia, Siberia, and Kazakhstan. He is particularly keen to explore the chemistry of ancient copper-alloy artefacts and use it as a proxy to discuss human engagement with metal. A wide range of instrumental techniques is employed to serve this purpose, such as electron microscopy, X-ray fluorescence spectrometry, and mass spectrometry. Dr Hsu is now a postdoctoral researcher at the DBM, working for the ReSoc project (Resources in Ancient Society). His current interest lies in the development of metallurgy in ancient Mongolia and North China, and the interaction between mobile pastoralists and settled agriculturalists.
- seit 2017
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Deutsches Bergbau-Museum, Germany
- 2016 – 2017
Postdoctoral Research Associate, RLAHA, University of Oxford
Visiting researcher at the Department of Geosciences, National Taiwan University; Part-Time Research Assistant, RLAHA, University of Oxford; Part-Time Research Assistant, Oriental Institute, University of Oxford
- 2010 – 2011
Research Assistant at the Academia Sinica, Taiwan; Research assistant at the National Palace Museum, Taiwan
- seit 2017
- Eurasian Archaeology
- Isotope Geochemistry
- Data Mining
- Prehistoric Metallurgy in Inner Asia and Warring States of China: Resources, Technology and Distribution Networks
Mitgliedschaften und Gremienarbeit
- Member of Soceity for Eastern Asian Archaeology
- Hsu, Y.-K., Bray, P.J., Hommel, P., Pollard, A.M. and Rawson, J. (2016). Tracing the flows of copper and copper alloys in the Early Iron Age societies of the eastern Eurasian steppe. Antiquity 90: 357–375.
- Pollard, A.M., Bray, P., Hommel, P., Hsu, Y.-K., Liu, R. and Rawson, J. (2017). Bronze Age Metal Circulation in China. Antiquity 91: 674-687.
- Pollard, A.M., Bray, P., Hommel, P., Hsu, Y.-K., Liu, R. and Rawson, J. (2017). 牛津研究体系在中国古代青銅器研究中的应用.《考古》第1: 95–106 (in Chinese).
- Hsu, Y.-K., Rawson, J. Pollard, A.M., Ma, Qiang, Luo, Feng, Yao P.-X. and Shen, C.-Z. Application of kernel density estimates to lead isotope compositions of bronzes from Ningxia, Northwest China (2018 ). Archaeometry 60:128-143.